Monday, February 21, 2011

Blue & Silver Christmas Card Challenge


This week's challenge on Sparkle Creations Weekly Christmas Card Challenge is to use Light Blue, Dark Blue, White & Silver.

Fabricland had a Member's Sale this past week and I made a point of getting to the sale because I noticed that I needed more variety in my thread colours. I have been doing more sewing on my cards and I realized that there were some colours that I was missing from my stash.

I got to the sale on Saturday and I picked up silver, gold & copper metallic thread amongst others because I thought that would be great to have on hand. The next morning, the challenge included the colour silver and the silver thread I bought was perfect for my project. I also bought some fabric that suited this challenge, but it didn't have the right feel for this card.

The patterned papers are from Stampin' Up and so is the Night of Navy cardstock. The white cardstock used on this card is Bazzill Smooth White and I sprayed it with Tattered Angel's Silver Glimmer Mist to tone down the brightness of the white and to add a bit of sparkle.

Besides stitching with my sewing machine, I used Heidi Swapp clear plastic snowflakes, Basic Grey rhinestones and Silver Jewel Glitter Ritz (micro fine glitter) to embellish this card.

The main image is called "Neva" from CC Design's Sweet November Stamps, the "Season's Greetings" is a Stampin' Up stamp and the inside sentiment stamp is from Inkadinkado.

The silver glitter borders on my card were done with the burnished velvet technique using the Silver Jewel Glitter Ritz and Be Creative Adhesive Tape. The silver on Neva's cuffs & waist were done the same glitter, but I used a liquid glue pen instead of the tape. The silver tips on the clear snowflakes were done with the same glitter again, but this time I used CTMH's liquid glass.

Neva was coloured with the following Copic Markers: B0000, B91, B93, B95, B97, B99 & N1. Then I outlined some of her snowflake, her hair lines and eyes with the Copic Clear Spica Pen (glitter pen) to add a bit of sparkle to the image.

The oval die-cut that Neva is adhered to was not only glimmer misted, but embossed with a Cuttlebug Snowflake Embossing Folder. I used Spellbinder's Standard Oval Small & Large nestabilities and Grand Scalloped Oval nestability to mat Neva.

All the sentiment stamps used on this card were embossed with Class Act Stamps Detail Silver embossing powder.

As you can see, I had a lot of fun playing with different techniques on this card and as always, it looks much better in person.

8 comments:

  1. This card is GORGEOUS!! I especially like the sewing with silver thread, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous colour combination! I love the image and the embossing and the gems around the die cut look beautiful!
    Hope you are well, sorry for my lack of commenting recently, I have hardly had time to check into blogger this last week or so!
    Linds x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card! I love your take on this weeks color challenge. So glad you joined us for another CCC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this card. Your christmas challenge is coming along great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! Another fabuous Christmas card! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful card! love the bling on the scalloped mat. Thanks for joining us on the Christmas Card Challenges blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. girl look pretty and the stone work around the sketch give awesome look to card.
    loyalty cards printing
    PVC cards

    ReplyDelete