Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Dining Room Sign


Before Covid-19, I was already "stuck" in my house due to my concussion. 

So, I have a lot of time on my hands to make design & construction plans to make our house more of a home that fits our needs.

Part of that is making our home more "pretty", but with meaning.

Our home tends to be the place where a lot of family functions happen. One, we have the space & two, I enjoy throwing parties...especially to make sure that our family & friends stay connected.

So, when I saw this quote: "Many have eaten here. Few have died." I just had to make this a part of my dining room decor.

One, because many have eaten here & two, I have never been known for being a good cook.

Last year, to make our yard fit our entertaining needs, we tore down our 16 x 24 deck that has been here since we moved in over 20 years ago.

We saved as many deck boards as we could so that we could reuse them. We have built a playhouse for TJ, a garbage shed, etc.

So, I took one of those deck boards & made this sign.

One edge of the board was roughed up from the elements. The other edge was more protected from the elements and therefore too smooth for my liking. I took the claw end of a hammer & beat up the edge to make both sides look weathered.

I stained the board to match the flooring throughout our main floor by mixing acrylic paints and water.

I then used my Cricut Design Space to design the layout and then cut out the design with my Cricut Machine & Cricut Stencil Vinyl. I used Sharpie Pen Font for the words & the flourish was an image that I already owned. Have no idea where it is from.

I then used my paint that we used to paint our living room walls (tan) & kitchen cupboards (grey) to paint my stencil onto the board.

I absolutely love how this sign turned out and I already have my next boards prepped for my living room sign that I want to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment